Friday 18 October 2013

My first finished quilt

Hello again. Today I thought that I would share my first quilt with you. It is nothing fancy, just a panel that I sandwiched with batting and backing fabric, so it is technically a quilt even though there was no patchwork involved.
Sunbonnet Sue doll quilt

I made this many years ago for my niece for her birthday. I whipped it up the day before because it is only small and, as I said, it is a pre-printed panel. To ad a bit of interest I used blanket stitch on my sewing machine to go around each of the Sunbonnet Sues. It came back to me when my daughter was old enough. She used it in her dolls pram.

The next quilt I will share with you is the first large quilt that I finished. I measures about 180 cm square and is made with flannel fabrics. I bought it as a kit from Alison at Canterbury Quilts but I modified it slightly. My friend Chris has a lovely raggy quilt on the back of her couch and I have always wanted to make one.

40th birthday quilt front

So after buying the kit I cut the blocks slightly bigger and sat down with a piece of graph paper to work it all out. As this is a quilt as you go type of quilt, I went back to by some flannel for the back. Alison's original quilt is a 10 x 10 with the centre panel and two borders. Mine is a 9 x 9 with only one border.

40th birthday quilt back

When I was finished cutting I had some scraps left over that I knew I would never use on anything else. So I sewed them all together and put a border around it to make it the same size as the centre panel on the front. The working out probably took as long as the actual construction but I think it was worth it. It is a great quilt for a male because the centre panel is a farming scene with windmills and tractors. My brother loved it.

Talk again soon

Jeanette


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people so please leave a comment.