Friday 11 October 2013

A Clowder of Cats

Did you know that a group of cats can be called a "clowder, cluster, glaring, dout/destruction (of wild cats), litter/kindle (of kittens)? No, neither did I.

My grandmother-in-law was a lovely lady. She was small of stature but big of heart and I always felt as though we shared something in common. Maybe it was because we were both Taurean. It was definitely because we both loved cats. When I met her she had two cats and so did I. She was also an avid gardener and lived at home until a stroke meant she moved to be cared for by family. Here she is all dolled up to go to my wedding in 1992.

Gran 1992
Gran (Allison) 1992
That same year I embroidered a couple of cross stitch pictures for her birthday. They were kits by Lanarte which is a company based in Belgium. Their designs are exquisite, although they can be a pain to stitch because of the subtlety of colour, but that is also what makes them outstanding.

cat x-stitch # 1 for Gran, 1992

She had a ginger cat called "Tangey" and a tabby called "George" and she loved to cut up lamb chops with scissors to give them a treat.

cat x-stitch # 2 for Gran

When she passed away the pictures came back to me and they will always remind me of her. I will always remember her strength of character and how she could tell her grandson what was what and then look at me with a twinkle in her eye.

Talk again soon

Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people so please leave a comment.