Friday 27 September 2013

I love teapots

What is it about teapots? I love them and I know that I am not alone in this. Is it that they hold such a delicious drink? Is it their shape (although they do come in a variety of shapes and sizes nowadays)? Or is it that they take us back to our childhood when we sang:

I'm a little teapot, short and stout,
Here is my handle, here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up then I shout,
Tip me over, pour me out.

Teapots pop up everywhere not just in the kitchen. Tea towels, cookie jars, pictures, ear rings, pillows, oil burners, lamps, fabrics etc. Here are some of mine.



And of course they feature in a variety of craft projects. Below are two wall hangings that I bought as kits from Honeysuckle Stained Glass & Patchwork; the blue mat I bought at a craft show in Melbourne and is designed by Nikki Tervo of Brandy Gully Designs. Both blue and white projects I made for my Mum because she has a Blue Willow dinner set.



.


The possibilities are endless but I still prefer the humble teapot. I would love to collect them but they take up so much room and require constant cleaning if left out in the open. A friend of my sister has a collection and it is housed in a large glass fronted display cabinet.

My collection numbers five. A plain blue one that I use for everyday when I have the time to brew a pot, a set that is decorated with a pumpkin motif.........


This pot is impractical as the handle is hollow. When you pour hot water in the pot the handle becomes too hot to "handle". Pardon the pun.

The other three sets are these. The pink "Petit Cafe" I bought for myself when I was on holiday in Canberra; the green floral on striped background (is that called chintz?) was a present from my sister Michele; and the bear sitting on the honey pot is from my friend Chris. As you can see, each of these actually has a teacup underneath the pot. Aren't they cute?


The black and white one belongs to my daughter and is also a gift from my sister.

When I was recently walking through a local shopping centre I saw these in a the window of Le Brew Caffe  and had to share them with you.




Do you have a collection at home too? I have some thimbles as well but I will share them with you another time.

Talk again soon

Jeanette

PS It is currently 12 degrees celcius, expecting a low of 5 degrees overnight and a high of 15 degrees tomorrow with a clearing shower. What fun for the weekend and school holidays to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people so please leave a comment.